Friday, November 2, 2012

resonant stories

resonant stories

A few lines from Cordoba, Spain...

She walks with the authority of centuries, carrying  history in her body. Each footfall;  an echo across all time. The leader of the night tour – Luz – Light - of the Mezquita; El Alma de Cordoba – the soul of Cordoba, the tour is named.

The place is truly vast. Row upon row upon row of arches striped rust red and cream on columns. Such space! Additions added on layer by extensive layer as each ruler expanded this place-until 40 thousand worshippers could pray together. Imagine: forty thousand, one in spirit.

We begin in an outdoor alcove with ancient timbers in rows above, carved in Arabic(?); a little film. Then we rise and enter the massive courtyard; the full moon rises, birds fly across the lit palms and splendiferous gold-lit mosque domes. My god. I am breathless. We stand at the massive dark doors of the mosque. And remember this history of this place, layer upon layer. It’s Halloween.

The doors swing open and enter the cavernous space. As we move about, each area slowly illuminates. It is atmospheric. I have had the privilege of seeing many mosques and ancient places; The Blue Mosque and St Sophia in Istanbul, the grand mosque in Cairo, and Karnak in Luxor with Abu Simbel south of Aswan at the border of Egypt and the Sudan; I have been inside many churches and cathedrals with glorious architecture and art throughout Europe; from the north of Finland to the Vatican city, most recently the gorgeous glowing stained glass by Chagall in Zurich. All to name a very few. But this place, a UNESCO world heritage site, speaks to me. Its dignity. Its constant changes through so many, many centuries as men fought over it, conquered from Christians by Arabs, to be conquered yet again eventually by Christians. (The Inquisition tower, by the way, is a few hundred meters away. More on this later).

As always, when I visit these sites, the vibration of the place ripples through my body. And I weep. Always. It is not merely the splendour and the manifestation of vision and effort, rather, it is as if my own body knows these places, remembers them. Remembers our collective history. My human history. This place. This planet. Where, in an untold swirling aeon, I will recall and long to touch again; yes, I was here. On this planet. In time. Part of humanity, with all our strivings and squabbles and foibles and errors. I was here.